Bangor, ME – Finalists in the Bangor Symphony Orchestra’s 35th Annual Maine High School Concerto Competition will compete in a recital on Saturday, February 27, 2016, 2 p.m. at the University of Maine’s Minsky Recital Hall in Orono. The top three finishers will be awarded scholarships, and the winner will additionally have the opportunity to perform as a soloist with the BSO in May at the annual Young People’s Concerts for over 2,000 school children.
This year’s finalists and the program are listed below:
- Morgan Flanigan, piano (Yarmouth, ME) – Mendelssohn, Concerto No. 1 in G minor
- Will Somes, violin (Cherryfield, ME) – Saint-Saens, Concerto for Violin No. 3
- Hannah Renee Edgecomb, trumpet (Mount Desert, ME) – Haydn, Concerto in E-flat Major
- Brandon Aponte, violin (Brooklin, ME) – Lalo, Symphonie Espagnole, Op. 21
- Margo Roberts, violin (Bangor, ME) – Mozart, Concerto in G, K. 216
Judging the competition this year will be the BSO’s Music Director and Conductor Lucas Richman, BSO violinist Mary Jo Carlsen, and Dr. Dan Barrett, Lecturer in Low Brass at the University of Maine.
A reception will be held following the recital and preceding the announcement of the results.