The Abbie N. Garland Society is a group of patrons dedicated to securing the future of the Bangor Symphony Orchestra through a planned gift. Join this group to honor the BSO’s founding in 1896 by Abbie N. Garland with a gift that will keep the music playing for generations to come.
“Sustaining the joy of live classical music for future audiences is our obligation. That’s why we included the Bangor Symphony Orchestra in our will.” -Jacqui E. Kaufman, BSO Patron
Planned gifts allow you to…
- Make a larger charitable gift than you thought possible
- Take care of the financial needs of your family first
- Provide inheritances for your heirs at a lower tax cost
- Reduce your income tax and even avoid capital gains taxes
- Diversify your investment portfolio
- Increase income and effective rate of return
- Leave a legacy without giving up assets
Types of Planned Gifts
- Bequests: Designating the BSO as a beneficiary of your estate supports the Orchestra in the future without diminishing assets during your lifetime and also provides estate tax savings
- Appreciated securities: Gifts of appreciated stock allow you to avoid capital gains
- Charitable remainder trusts and charitable gift annuties: Both provide you with a fixed income for your lifetime that is partially tax-free, while the remaining principal supports the BSO
- Retirement assets: Name the BSO as beneficiary of your retirement plan to leave less-taxed assets in your estate
- Life insurance: Donate a paid-up policy that you no longer need or create a new policy naming the BSO as a beneficiary for estate tax savings
- Real estate: A gift of your property to the BSO removes its value from your taxable estate
- Contact the BSO’s Director of Development at 207-942-5555 ext. 2 or e-mail development @ bangorsymphony.org for more information about your options. We can provide sample language for bequests or show you how to structure specific gifts.
- Contact your attorney and your financial advisor. Let them know you are considering a planned gift to the Bangor Symphony Orchestra. They can assist you in determining what type of gift best suits your circumstances while fulfilling your philanthropic desires.
- Be sure to talk to your family and friends about your plans and personal wishes in addressing family needs as well as your philanthropic legacy.