Update (2/10/2022) – The application is now closed for the 2022 Competition and finalists have been invited to perform in recital on Saturday, February 12, 2022 at 2 p.m. at Minsky Recital Hall. RSVP to attend.
- Application Deadline: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2021
- Finalist Notification: FRIDAY, JANUARY 14, 2022
- Finalists’ Audition Recital: SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2022
- Young People’s Concerts: SUNDAY, MAY 15 & MONDAY, MAY 16, 2022
- First Place Annas-Cupp Award: $500 & concerto performance with the BSO
- Second Place Friends Award: $250
- Third Place Friends Award: $150
For over 40 years the Bangor Symphony Orchestra has been encouraging and recognizing the outstanding talents of Maine’s high school instrumentalists. We invite you to become a part of this long history by participating in the 41st Annual Maine High School Concerto Competition.
The first-prize winner for the Annas-Cupp Award will be featured in a concerto performance with the Bangor Symphony Orchestra. Don’t miss this opportunity to showcase your talents and become part of Bangor Symphony Orchestra history! Complete details are in the application.
This competition is open to any string, woodwind, brass, percussion, harp, and piano students in grades 9 through 12, at the time of the application due date. Entrants must not have graduated and must be enrolled in high school or high school program (e.g. home school). Entrants must not have taken the GED. Dual enrollment students are eligible. Entrants must be Maine residents, but may attend high school outside the state of Maine. If questions arise, proof of age, enrollment, and residency may be necessary. Winners of the Annas-Cupp Award in any preceding year are ineligible to compete.
All applicants must submit the following:
1) Participants are required to submit video/audio recording materials. You may upload a video file or provide a YouTube (or other music sharing website) link of the student performing one movement of a concerto in the standard orchestral repertoire. The selected movement can be up to 12 minutes in length, uncut*. All recordings must include the accompaniment. No pre-recorded accompaniments, please. Listen to your recording before you send it in, quality is important. Private teachers should not accompany their students for the recording submission or live recital.
2) Copy of the music with each measure numbered
3) Completed application form
Note: There is no entrance fee
All applications must be postmarked prior to midnight, December 31, 2021.
*Any exceptions to the length rule and approval for any cuts or transcriptions must be requested in writing and approved by the Competition committee prior to video/audio submission. E-mail brian @ bangorsymphony.org & katie @ bangorsymphony.org.
Recordings will be evaluated by a committee including Bangor Symphony Orchestra members and leading musicians in Maine. By January 14, 2022, finalists will be chosen to participate in a public audition recital at Minsky Hall on the University of Maine, Orono campus.
Contestants must provide their own accompanist. On the day of the finals, students and their accompanists may rehearse in the performing hall during the morning. The final audition, in the form of a public recital, will take place that afternoon. If needed, we can help facilitate the search for an accompanist.