Maine High School Concerto Competition
Update (1/4/2021) – The BSO looks forward to holding the Maine High School Concerto Competition, with new application, recital, and performance procedures and timelines.
Key Changes During COVID-19
- Recording Submission: If you cannot find and safely record with an accompanist, please record your concerto “solo” or with a “music-minus-one” track as accompaniment
- Audition Recital: This event will be closed to the public, with only the jury in attendance in Minsky Recital Hall. Performances will be livestreamed. The BSO will provide an accompanist for the audition recital. Additional, extensive safety procedures will be followed.
- Performance with the BSO: Traditionally, the winner of the Competition performs a concerto with the BSO at the annual Young People’s Concerts. This year, we cannot offer this as part of the prize. However, the winner will have the opportunity to record a segment of the YPC with members of the BSO, in repertoire to be determined and discussed with the winner.
- Application Deadline: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2021
- Finalist Notification: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2021
- Audition Recital: SATURDAY, MARCH 6, 2021
- Winner Records With BSO Members: DATE TBD
- First Place Annas-Cupp Award – $500
- Second Place Friends Award – $250
- Third Place Friends Award – $150
For almost 40 years the Bangor Symphony Orchestra has been encouraging and recognizing the outstanding talents of Maine’s high school instrumentalists. We invite you to become a part of this long history by participating in the 38th Annual Maine High School Concerto Competition.
The first-prize winner for the Annas-Cupp Award will be featured in a concerto performance with the Bangor Symphony Orchestra. Don’t miss this opportunity to showcase your talents and become part of Bangor Symphony Orchestra history! Complete details are in the application.